In 1954 a group of Lutheran Christians decided to hold regular church service in West Jefferson, Ohio. The first service was held on Christmas Eve, Dec. 24, 1954, at the Grange Hall on Twin Street. Hence, Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church was born on Christmas Eve. On June 14, 1955, Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church was accepted as a regular congregation of the Ohio District of the American Lutheran Church.
On March 11, 1956, nearly 2 acres were purchased at the end of Center Street. In the spring of 1956, an architect and builder were hired to build Zion.
In 1956, the congregation expressed a need for a full-time pastor. Daniel Snider was installed on Jan. 6, 1957. Groundbreaking ceremonies for a new church structure were held on Palm Sunday, April 14, 1957. The dedication for the original church building was held on Sunday, Oct. 6, 1957. The congregation expanded with a new santuary that was dedicated March 28, 1976.
On Oct. 30, 2005, Zion held a celebratory worship service and luncheon in honor of the congregation's 50th anniversary.
In September 2009, Denise Edwards was called as pastor of Zion Lutheran.
During the congregation's annual meeting in November 2013, the church agreed on a new Mission Statement: "Reaching in for the Holy Spirit; reaching up for God's grace; reaching out with Christ's love."
In November 2016, due to declining attendance and projected financial issues, the congregation voted to sell the church and grounds and look into meeting elsewhere. Then a miracle happened! The Village of West Jefferson was looking for a community center and the Zion building and property was perfect. The village bought the property and took possession at the end of February 2017. And allowed the congregation to continue meeting in the church every Sunday.
Pastor Denise decided to retire to Tucson. Zion is currently being led by Jon Meister, a Synodically approved minister of the Word and Sacraments, who is Zion's permanent Supply Pastor.